{this week in Burke County history}

10 YEARS AGO – APRIL 3, 2013

The City of Waynesboro froze the city’s online accounts and asked all department heads to turn over their passwords. The action followed the discovery that some employees were using the city’s accounts for personal purchases. No fraud was discovered and the employees had paid with their personal funds.

The Waynesboro Downtown Development Authority was trying to raise $12,000 for Fourth of July fireworks. The annual event had halted two years earlier.

25 YEARS AGO – APRIL 1, 1998

G. Bates Hagood, 90, a former Waynesboro mayor and city councilman, died at his residence. He also served as chairman of the Burke County Hospital Authority and as administrator for a period of time.

An undercover drug sting by the Burke County Sheriff’s Department netted 17 arrests, with more expected. Sheriff Greg Coursey said almost 40 people were either under arrest or being sought.

Steve Crawford, Sr. was recognized for more than 20 years of service on the board of directors of the American Pulpwood Association. His son, Steve, Jr. was placed on the board at the same time.

50 YEARS AGO – MARCH 28, 1973

Georgia Power Company was in the process of constructing a new substation at the corner of Seventh Street and Jones Avenue.

Danny DeLaigle, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clayton DeLaigle of Waynesboro, was named to the Dean’s List at the University of Georgia.

The Waynesboro National Guard Armory was hosting wrestling matches. Featured wrestlers included Bobby Shane, Roy Lee Welsh, Joyce Grable, The Fabulous Moolah, Mr. Fuji and Bobby Cash.

70 YEARS AGO – APRIL 2, 1953

William L. Deck of Waynesboro was one of two University of Georgia professors of air force tactics who were killed in a training accident near Braselton, Ga. He was the son of Mrs. W. L. Deck, Sr. and the late Mr. Deck.

Frank Griffin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Shelley Griffin, was selected to represent Clemson College in the Florida Relays. Griffin ran the 120 yard dash at Clemson in 12 seconds.

Burke County Sheriff O.J. Cliett said that for the first time in more than a year, there were no inmates in the county jail.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.