2012-10-24 / News

Farmer still hospitalized after electric shock

By Elizabeth Billips

A Burke County farmer continues to improve following an electrical accident during peanut harvesting.

Brandon Hargrove, 36, has been in the Doctor’s Hospital burn center since Oct. 16 when a peanut picker clipped a power line just off Highway 80. Hargrove, who was standing on the ground nearby, was hit in the arm by the main power wire.

According to a post he made on facebook this week, around 115,000 volts of electricity passed through his body and into both legs, “blowing them apart.”

By yesterday (Tuesday), his condition had been upgraded to fair, according to a hospital spokesperson.

“Long story short I should have died but here I am,” Hargrove wrote Monday after his fourth surgery. “Life is a precious gift we all take for granted … treasure every moment God gives you.”

Return to top