2011-10-05 / For The Record

From the Blotter

Cop out

The flashing light made for a bad night. Two Girard residents ended up in the slammer after pretending to be cops Friday night. Alexander Overstreet, 18, and Evelyn Vickery, 20, were arrested after a motorist reported that someone in a Dodge Durango was flashing emergency blue lights from the dash and attempting to pull him over. The Durango’s driver followed him for quite some time, the report said, but finally gave up and passed, giving the motorist the opportunity to jot down the tag number and call the real cops. The Durango was stopped shortly thereafter, and both offenders admitted to flashing an LED flashlight at cars along Highway 24. They were charged with impersonating an officer with a motor vehicle.

Cut to the chase

A suspect might have owned up, but he didn’t give up. Last week, Burke County deputies were headed toward an activated burglar alarm in Gough when they saw a man on a motorcycle leaving the property in question. When officers asked 25-year-old Wesley Carnes to cut off the engine, he said he couldn’t. When asked why, he answered because the Kawasaki was stolen. That’s when he took off and led deputies

on a very brief chase that ended in handcuffs. When the Gough property owner arrived at the scene, he confirmed that Carnes had stolen gas from his air compressor. According to the report, the motorcycle had been stolen from Richmond County. Carnes, who lives in Waynesboro, is charged with theft by receiving stolen property, theft by taking, criminal trespass, fleeing or attempting to elude a law enforcement officer, no driver’s license (wrong class), no proof of insurance and operation of a vehicle without a license plate.

The unit

A Saturday morning squabble led to the near-injury of a Waynesboro toddler. According to a report filed at the police department, the boy’s mother got into a fight with two other women several hours earlier. The mother thought it was over, but the women came to the door of her Magnolia Acres apartment and begin to argue again. This time, the toddler’s uncle intervened and the women left … but didn’t leave well enough alone. They allegedly pushed the air conditioning unit back through the open window, causing it to fall on the 2-year-old who was asleep on the sofa below. According to the report, the child was not injured and the mother was advised on how to take out a warrant.

Return to top