2005-08-10 / News

Council deals with mobile homes, police concerns

By Allen Smith
True Citizen Staff Writer

By Allen Smith
True Citizen Staff Writer

At the regular Sardis City Council meeting held July 19, council members heard public comments about the city’s police department and handled requests about the city’s mobile home ordinance.

Andrea Riggs requested council approve to move a 1994 Horton mobile home into the city. Her request was granted provided all other criteria of the city’s mobile home ordinance were met. The ordinance does not allow mobile homes older than 10 years to be brought into the city limits. Council has waived the age requirement in the past if all other requirements of the ordinance are met.

Margaret Odom also addressed the council concerning a similar request. Council sent Odom a letter requesting she remove a mobile home that had been brought to her property. In a previous meeting, council agreed to allow the mobile home because she told council it was 15 years old. The mobile home appears much older and procedures for bringing the mobile home into the city were not followed, council said. The letter was drafted and sent to Odom.

She appeared before council to dispute the claims of the letter. She claimed she told council the trailer was "15 years or older". Council minutes show the claim to be 15 years. After a lively discussion of the matter, Council voted 3-1 to allow Odom 60 days to make "substantial progress" toward meeting the criteria required by the ordinance. Donnie Hickman voted against the motion.

Beth Skinner approached council with a complaint concerning a City of Sardis police officer. A suspect drove through her yard, destroying shrubs and plants. He reportedly entered the yard more than once, with the final time parking on the non-driveway side of the residence. The Skinners were not home at the time. Neighbors called police, an officer responded and told the suspect to leave. The officer, according to Skinner, neighbors and the police department, left the scene before the suspect and never did a background check on the suspect.

The suspect later entered another home in the county and was later arrested. He reportedly had several outstanding warrants.

Skinner wanted to bring the matter to council and find out what could be done. Councilman Jeff Oliver advised Skinner that Police Chief Johnny Muns had taken disciplinary action short of terminating the new officer.

In other business, Mayor John Hamilton stated that clean up of private property by the city must be approved by mayor and council before clean-up could begin. He emphasized that city maintenance and clean up work would come first.

From the Streets department, Councilman Norman Elliott presented a letter from Jackie Taylor that Taylor wanted the council to approve. The letter specified duties to be performed by the maintenance crews. Council agreed to require that maintenance workers sign the document.

Elliott also reported that a new bush hog was being requested. Council tabled the matter.

Council agreed to purchase two window tint meters for the police department. They also discussed repairs on two police vehicles and roof leaks in the police department offices following the removal of an old air conditioning unit.

Council also agreed to raise the fines for loud music.

Council retired to executive session to discuss personnel matters. No action was taken.


Return to top